Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mountain Battles


Mountain Battles 02
Originally uploaded by ohnochriso
Last night I bought a copy of Mountain Battles, the new album by The Breeders, on vinyl. Much to my delight it came with a code for downloading the entire album in MP3 form so I can basically have my cake and listen to it on my iPod as well!

The album is pretty damn fantastic. I've been a Breeders fan since Pod (still their best album if you ask me) and I've enjoyed most of their releases but was kind of disappointed when Title TK dropped after a zillion years and it was pretty mediocre. Mountain Battles has some sonic similarities in the sense that some of it sounds like it was recorded in Kim Deal's bedroom - possibly in her closet or under her bed. There's a very hushed, intimate tone to some of the songs while others are bristling with noises and echoes and weird blips and guitar parts that somehow all fit together perfectly. Kim Deal has always had this weird, unexpected sexiness to a lot of her songs and that same quality is definitely in effect on this record. And I love it.

I am now more excited than ever to see them at the end of this month! And I really hope they play a bunch of stuff from Pod like they did on their last tour.

3 Comments:

At 4/15/2008 3:41 PM , Blogger Misty L said...

I couldn't agree more. I'm loving the new record and somehow got roped into flying to vegas to see them at the end of the month. rock!

 
At 4/15/2008 9:20 PM , Blogger ohnochriso said...

Oh, rad! Are you going to the show at Slim's too?

 
At 4/16/2008 9:17 PM , Blogger Misty L said...

I didn't get tickets...I'm assuming it's already sold out. booo!! But if I can find a ticket, I'll definitely be there.

btw...my dj ipod LOVES the ex-boyfriends right now. hee

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home