Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Keepsakes

I recently traveled to Maine to join my family in memorializing my Dad and spreading some of his ashes in one of his favorite spots on the planet. My Uncle and Aunt put together a great scrapbook for me full of photos of and clippings about my Dad. Click all photos to see larger versions.


I'd never seen my Dad as a kid or a young man. His face was always very tanned and weathered as a result of his decades of working outdoors as an iron worker. I think I just imagined him being born that way - a little baby with deep lines and tanned skin!


Such a little ham, totally playing all cute to the camera!


I think he looks so much like a 50s movie star in these photos. I love the style of old photos so much, even the somewhat cheesy colorizing that makes everyone look like they have makeup on.


My Dad really loved his time in the Marines. This is a photo of him in his dress uniform with some of his Marine pins. I am working on a memorial tattoo concept that will incorporate the iconography of the pin.


My own in-progress albums of photos I have of him. My favorites are the ones of us together when I was very young. I don't really remember those times but seeing them brings me a lot of joy. Almost every one of them involves him playing with me and my toys and it brings to mind the joyful, playful side my Dad always had despite some of his darker, more difficult moods.

I have already looked at these photos dozens of times, multiple times a day. It's nowhere near a substitute for having him here but they definitely are a bit of a salve on the wound of loss.

2 Comments:

At 11/19/2008 4:12 AM , Blogger Diane Daggett Medeiros said...

Chris, Thanks so much for posting the photos of your Dad. Although I am sitting here in tears, I enjoyed them so much. I have never seen pics of your father before I met him. Even though your father was not a part of my daily life, I miss him terribly. I console myself with the belief that your father has finally found the serenity and peace that he looked for for so long. My thoughts are with you Crhis.

Love, Diane

 
At 1/14/2009 3:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Chris - I love all your thoughts and comments on your dad. His pictures are great and he really did enjoy getting on the floor to play with you. Those were good times and I am glad you have those pictures to remind you (even though you don't remember it). Dad loved you from the moment he set eyes on you and I am so happy for you that you got to know each other the past several years. That is a special gift. I love you, Mom xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home