Sunday, October 28, 2007

Senator Craig Celebrates Halloween


Senator Larry Craig
Originally uploaded by Laughing Squid.
Last night I went to my friend Violet's place for cocktails and hangout time before a group of us went out to wander the Castro and check out the various costumes. I was decked out as the toe-tapping, tearoom sex-having Senator Larry Craig. I came up with the costume idea, bought conservative clothes at the Goodwill and materials to make my faux bathroom wall. But it was with the help of that I was able to execute it so well. I am often great with concept but shoddy with execution when it comes to crafty/visual stuff. But with my vision and his crafty know-how the costume totally knocked it out of the park.

When we went out into the Castro I got TONS of attention for my costume. Most people got it right away due to the fact that I had a nametag on. Some people thought I was a bathroom and others thought I was handicapped due to the sign on the back indicating a bathroom door. I got my picture taken a bunch, people stopped to tap their toe next to mine while passersby yelled out "SENATOR CRAIG" and one totally dykey cop came up to tell me how much she loved my costume. I swear, I've never gotten more validation and praise in my neighborhood than last night. I guess all I had to do was dress up as a closeted, bathroom cruising politician to get all the gays to adore me. I even got photographed by a guy from the the Bay Area Reporter so maybe I'll be in the papers. I have to say that it was a SHITLOAD of fun to dress up like Mr. Craig and get laughs at his expense.

More photos here:
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link

Main photo by Scott Beale of Laughing Squid.

3 Comments:

At 10/29/2007 4:20 AM , Blogger Michael C. said...

Great idea for a costume, and you pull it off so well (although you're much cuter). Of course, SF is the perfect location for a costume like that too.

 
At 10/29/2007 5:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, that's great. I'm glad you overcome the vision/execution disparity. I never do. I think it's awesome you got people to sign the stall door about town.

 
At 10/31/2007 10:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never say I never gave you anything related to WW.

http://arflovers.com/Blog/?p=746

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home