Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Letter to Anita

After reading about the Victoria Theatre/Anita Correa's refusal to allow a sexually explicit, local/lesbian-made film to premiere at their theater, I decided to send Anita an e-mail about my disappointment with her decision. Here it is:

"Dear Ms. Correa,

I was dismayed to read on the Blowfish.com blog that the Victoria has chosen to reject Shine Louise Houston's movie "In Search of the Wild Kingdom" with very little reasoning as to why and with what seems like very shady and evasive behavior on your part towards Blowfish. I see that the Victoria has no problem with hosting "Spike & Mike's Sick & Twisted Festival of Animation" which doubtlessly contains tons of things that "the community" could find offensive but a film made my a local, lesbian director is being rejected without so much as a cursory glance at the film's content. This reeks of censorship and bigotry, pure and simple. It's a pre-emptive strike on behalf of an hysterical faction of people in our community who blanche at the mere suggestion of sexuality and decide that it is up to them to impose their views, morals, mores and restrictions on the world around them. And I find that more than a little sad and infuriating.

I also find it ironic that your Myspace page has the song "Midnight Radio" from the film "Hedwig & The Angry Inch" on it - a film about transgressing boundaries of gender and sexuality and accepting and embracing difference in ourselves and others. Clearly the message of that movie and the songs within it were lost on you, Anita. I love to support local businesses and have patronized the Victoria Theatre in the past. I saw it as a part of what I love about San Francisco - a city that supports diversity, art, community and freedom of expression. But in light of this recent piece of news, I think I'll find it no longer necessary to spend my money somewhere that practices such bigoted, censorious business.


Regards,
Chris"


Feel free to voice your opinion too. Here's their contact page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home